Author Topic: Ken Strange  (Read 22574 times)

SherryHall

Re: Ken Strange
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2019, 05:44:59 PM »
Brian Rubaie

Rest in peace Ken ❤ One of the greatest thinkers and people I have ever known.

SherryHall

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2019, 05:45:28 PM »
Jackie Poapst

Ken Strange always made me feel welcome at every tournament he was at. He will be missed!!!

SherryHall

« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2019, 05:46:18 PM »
Matt Gerber

I had the honor and privilege to judge on a panel with Ken Strange at the Binghamton NDT a couple of years ago. It was wonderful to catch up with him, but even more awesome to see his debate intellect on full display. He was always very kind and helpful to us when we debated at Southeast Oklahoma in the 90s, Ken having Oklahoma debate ties himself. I'm sorry to see him go, and my heart goes out to his family, friends, and many former students and colleagues in the debate activity. Rest in peace coach.

SherryHall

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2019, 05:47:38 PM »
Joe Bellon

Ken Strange recently passed away. For those of you who didn't know Ken, he was the long-time debate coach at Dartmouth. For almost my entire debate career, Ken was Dartmouth debate. I met him my first year in college, when I was desperately trying to catch up to my colleagues -- still unsure of myself and largely confused about the activity. At that time, Dartmouth was a dominant power in debate, and I saw Ken as fiercely competitive and a little scary. Over the years, he seemed to mellow out to me, becoming one of the kindest people I knew in an activity that has far too little kindness. When Ken retired, I started thinking about my early perceptions of him. I wondered if it was just my own inexperience and confusion that made Ken seem like such a challenging figure. As I look back on it, I remember many times in my own career that Ken was funny and kind, and I now understand that it was me who was doing the changing. I'm thankful to Ken for his friendship and for the literally countless contributions he made for debate. Those of us who spent time in the coaching ranks can only hope to be remembered with as much love as Ken Strange.

SherryHall

« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2019, 05:48:20 PM »
Paul Derby

My thoughts are with the Dartmouth Debate community and the countless people who were so greatly benefitted by knowing Ken Strange. My experiences with Ken, learning from him at DDI, working with him there too, coaching against him, debating against his teams, and considering him a true friend, all made a huge impact and changed my life for the better in countless ways. If there is a heaven, he was undoubtedly in the precheck line.

SherryHall

« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2019, 05:49:23 PM »
J.W. Patterson

Our fond memories of Ken are ever lasting. Mine go back to Harding High School in the sixties

SherryHall

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2019, 05:49:45 PM »
Leeann Hutson Solice

I learned so much from Ken in my time with DDI. I've seldom known such an amazing combination of brilliant mind and warm heart.

SherryHall

« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2019, 05:50:43 PM »
Edward Swaine

Thank you, Sherry. He was a kind and decent man who will be missed by many. RIP.

SherryHall

« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2019, 05:51:19 PM »
Tara Tate Carr

Ken Strange made everyone around him feel important, relevant and worthy. The world needs much more of this.

Sending thoughts of peace and strength to the Dartmouth Debate and Wake Forest Debate families. My heart is heavy thinking about the grief you are enduring.

SherryHall

« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2019, 05:52:44 PM »
Elyse Conklin

i have so many good ken stories to tell at some point, but this sums it up nicely. i only had 2 years at wake and i can’t explain how lucky i feel that they overlapped with the legendary and wonderful ken strange

SherryHall

« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2019, 05:53:29 PM »
Travis Cram

Wow Ken... I would kill to hear your booming voice during an RFD again, as you got on your feet and prepared to hold seminar for the next 20 minutes. You were an amazing voice and perspective in policy debate, and you never treated anyone as if they were beneath your level of intellect and accomplishments and not worth your time. This kid from Wyoming never forgot that.

SherryHall

« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2019, 05:54:17 PM »
Brian Prestes

Condolences to all of my Dartmouth Debate friends.

SherryHall

« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2019, 05:55:11 PM »
Charles Anthony

RIP Ken Strange! I will always be greatful for how you helped refine my 2ncs/2nrs, line by line skills, teaching me how to go for T properly & I’ll forever have the image of you chain smoking cigs before flights to tournaments, falling asleep (adorably) in the squad room, and directing the DDI in my mind. Also those cards for Corinne’s 1nrs were 🔥🔥 #GoDeacs

SherryHall

« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2019, 05:56:46 PM »
Eric Lanning

Ken Strange was a legend and it's impossible to imagine debate without him. I'm grateful for the kindness he showed me and advice he gave me over and over again throughout the course of my debate career. I'm sending all of my love to his Dartmouth debate family and everyone in the community who is mourning this loss.

SherryHall

« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2019, 06:25:38 PM »
Dartmouth Forensic Union

It is with a heavy heart that I write to mourn the passing of Ken Strange, the Director of the DFU from 1980-2015.
For hundreds of DFU alumni, thousands of students at the DDI, and the entire college debate community, Ken left an indelible legacy as a legendary coach, unparalleled teacher, and dear friend.
We invite you to share reflections and stories of Ken’s life and legacy.
Ken dedicated his life to improving the arguments and character of all those around him. His wisdom, passion, and dedication inspired countless people, yet he remained humble and self-effacing to a fault.
Ken’s coaching achievements with the DFU included winning three National Debate Tournament Championships, five NDT 2nd places, and nine NDT 3rd places. His peers selected him the coach of the decade for the 1980s. In a coaching feat that may never be equaled, Dartmouth won at least one elimination round at the NDT every year from 1980-2009.
Ken also cared deeply about students on other teams. He gave his utmost to judging thoughtfully and thoroughly. He was selected as a one of the top five judges in the nation for the 70s, 80s, and 90s.
Ken’s research was consummate and exemplary in every way. He had a process for every step of constructing an argument. Even more than teaching his debaters what they needed to win, he taught all of us how to think. If the third hour of a pre-NDT meeting on a single argument could make a difference, it was worth everyone’s attention.
Nearly every DFU alum has, at some point, attempted a Ken impression. Even Ken had an impression of everyone else’s Ken impression – reserved for observing “You all [even deeper than usual intonation] make me sound ridiculous.” He was right that we were all imitating someone who was, ultimately, inimitable. Perhaps we all know that any part of emulating Ken we can get right adds to the wisdom, joy, and excellence that stand as his legacy.
I showed up to Dartmouth as a student in 1999 without a clue about college debate and a couple years of experience on a local circuit. I thought there would be try-outs that might prevent me from debating at Dartmouth. Instead, Ken welcomed me to the team, listened to terrible practice debates, and helped me work on small assignments to get a handle on an unfamiliar world. As long as you cared, Ken cared about you. I came to college hoping to become a teacher. It was Ken who taught me how to teach and what to teach.