College Policy Debate Forums
December 10, 2018, 02:32:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: St. Mary's Hall Opening  (Read 3244 times)
Jarrod Atchison

« on: March 30, 2010, 02:10:38 PM »

Here is the description from Eric Geyer with his contact information:

PROGRAM HISTORY

I am currently the head of the Speech, Debate, and Competitive Drama program and teach Middle School Speech, Upper School Speech, and a Novice CX class of 15 students.  I started the program as a single Novice CX class in 2003.  I did CX for about a year in high school so I am qualified to teach novices but can't really help a CX student once they hit Varsity.  Historically, our novice teams have done very well over the last 7 years, having been to the Final Round at the University of Texas Novice CX Division 3 of the last 5 years (2 wins).  Our novices tend to finish their first year with a lot of enthusiasm for CX.

We try to compete pretty much every weekend that school is in session between September and February.  We probably go to about 20 tournaments a year around Texas.  However, there is potential for a CX squad that could travel nationally, as we have attended tournaments like Emory in the past.

We have made the decision to hire an additional teacher to take over the Policy Debate aspect of our program.  However, we also want a candidate who understands the value of working with middle school students in order to build the program for the future.

TEACHING RESPONSIBILITIES

The new Debate instructor that we hire will start out with 4 45-minute classes per day:

1 section of Upper School Novice CX Debate (about 10-15 students)

1 section of Varsity CX Debate.  We'll have about 12 returning students next year, grades 10-12.

1 section of Introduction to Speech and Debate (Form 6).  This is a one-semester course of roughly 10-15 students who are brand new to forensics.  The objective will be to get these students excited about public speaking, debate, and oral interpretation.  Each student will be required to compete at one middle or high school tournament per semester.

1 section of Introduction to Competitive Speech and Debate (Forms 6/7/8).  This is a full-year course with similar objectives as above, except that students will commit to attending 3 tournaments per semester.

REQUIREMENTS

The ideal candidate for this position would have all three of the following:

1)  A strong list of credentials in CX Debate, both as a competitor and coach

2)  A strong sense of enthusiasm about working with middle school students and introducing them to all forensics events, including debate events, public speaking events, and interpretive events.

3)  A willingness to attend 6 middle school tournaments and roughly 12 high school tournaments per year.

Saint Mary's Hall's basic starting salary for this part-time teacher is $24,000.  At this time, there are no benefits included with this part-time position.  However, I feel there is great potential that the salary and benefits could grow in subsequent years, especially if the candidate is dedicated to recruiting and growing the program.  Additionally, the candidate may be able to augment the salary above with a summer program or may bring be able to fill another need at Saint Mary's Hall.

Please let me know if you remain interested and we will contact you to arrange a phone interview.

Eric Geyer
egeyer@smhall.org
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: