Author Topic: Nick Watts  (Read 551 times)

SherryHall

Re: Nick Watts
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2021, 08:24:04 AM »
Conor Cleary

As debaters, we are rarely at a loss for words. But I cannot adequately express what a wonderful human being Nick Watts
 was, and how heartbreaking his loss is. Debaters (and, really, this is true of anyone, in any context) who have the kind of talent and success that Nick had are largely insufferable, preferring flattery over friendship, their empathy emptied by ego. I first judged Nick when he was a young, insecure high school debater, probably in 2003 or 2004, and then had the privilege of coaching him during his college career at OU, culminating in back-to-back CEDA national championship victories in 2009 and 2010, the latter year also including the individual top speaker award. And what stands out most about Nick is that throughout his meteoric rise and all of his success, he remained the same exceedingly kind and humble person he was the first time I ever met him. Whether his opponent was the poor freshmen team unlucky enough to draw OU GW round 1 of a tournament, or the fiercest rival competing for a coveted championship, Nick treated them no differently. He was always affable and approachable. He was universally loved. He was happy to discuss his arguments with his competitors even though it was probably not in his best interests. Long after he had outgrown any coaching advice I could give him, he listened to everything I had to say, probably just to be nice and make me feel relevant. When he judged the next generation of high school debaters, he stayed after the debates were over, answering their questions and offering advice on how to improve.
I had not kept up with him as closely in recent years, something that I deeply regret. But it is a testament to the kind of person he was that his effect on me and so many others remains so vivid and profound.

SherryHall

« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2021, 08:24:25 AM »
Mike Redman

We debaters have an unusual bond with our colleagues and our competitors. I still stay in touch with several from my college days. I did not know Nick, but judging by your testament, he sounds like a hell of a guy.

SherryHall

« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2021, 08:26:45 AM »
Rashid Rbg Campbell

I learned what it meant to be Loyal to your Debate Partner from Nick Watts! Before I ever had a name in debate he treated me with respect and compassion. When I made it Oklahoma him and RJ were the big dawgs. An even as a big dawg he remained humble. Giving thanks for the lessons you taught and the time you were here. #RIPNick #OUSquad #Ase'

SherryHall

« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2021, 08:27:57 AM »
Cory Copeland

Man, in high school he was the one guy who usually beat us and I couldn't even be mad because he 1. he was so damn good, and 2. he was so kind. I remember one tournament after beating us I talked to him about the round he just started unironically giving us advice on how we could have won because he was the kind of guy who wanted to help even if could cost him personally. He'll definitely be missed by all the people his life touched.

SherryHall

« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2021, 08:28:57 AM »
Alex McVey

My heart goes out to you and your family. Nick was one of the best and brightest debate minds, and also just such a stellar person to talk to. Truly heartbreaking news.

SherryHall

« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2021, 08:29:24 AM »
Halli Tripe

I am so sorry, Weston. Nick was an amazing guy. Just one of the nicest guys in Debate.

SherryHall

« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2021, 08:29:55 AM »
Jairus Victor Grove

Oh Weston this breaks my heart. I cant imagine my UTNIF and debate time without you and Nick
being around. Thinking about you and your family.

SherryHall

« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2021, 08:31:00 AM »
Brock Spencer

I'm so sorry for your loss. Y'all we're the best lab leaders I ever could have asked for, and helped me grow so much as a young man. I've always looked up to Nick. ❤

SherryHall

« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2021, 08:31:32 AM »
Maggie Solice

I coached with Nick for just over a year when he was at Harvard (the second time, I believe). He challenged the debaters to help them grow intellectually and evolve their arguments, but always approached it in a way that helped build them up so that they were confident no matter what they were facing. He had a great mind for debate and was always incredibly kind. I am so sorry for your loss. He will be remembered and truly missed by so many.

SherryHall

« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2021, 08:33:32 AM »
Jenny Davis

I’m so sorry. Nick showed a generation of debaters that you could be kind and caring and still be competitive and successful.

SherryHall

« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2021, 08:33:57 AM »
Blake Batchelor

So sorry to hear Weston. Nick was seriously the nicest person. An all-around amazing guy. We were in the same grade at Heritage.

SherryHall

« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2021, 08:34:27 AM »
Katie Hoge

I am so sorry to hear this news. Nick was the kindest person. He was a friend to all and so respected and liked by everyone. My heart and prayers go out to you and your family and all those that Nick impacted in his life.