Author Topic: Vince Binder  (Read 44799 times)

SherryHall

Re: Vince Binder
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2010, 04:34:51 PM »
Doowon Chung:

is in shock. RIP Vince.

joe

« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2010, 04:41:12 PM »
I'm profoundly sad about the situation and can't get over the randomness of it all, but am not going to let it color my perceptions of the world to the point where I become jaded--Vince built up a reservoir of good memories in our hearts that easily overwhelms the events of this month.

CEDA should consider creating the Vince Binder award for comeback debater of the year--it'd be a great way to acknowledge not only what Vince meant to me and others, but to reward those like Vince who have gotten knocked down and used debate as a means to a second chance.

p.s.-Many of the posts I see don't recognize the amount of places Vince touched--He not only debated at West Georgia, but also FSU and Florida.

SherryHall

« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2010, 04:52:29 PM »
Jim Schultz :

ATTENTION: ESPECIALLY DEBATERS. If you haven’t already, please make a donation (www.helpfindvince.com). The funds are first used in the event that a reward is distributed for leading us to Vince, then if his family needs any help with arrangements etc. Finally we will ABSOLUTELY set up a debate fund in Vince's name, just working on which 501(c) 3 umbrella we will place it under.

My friend Danielle is a professional fundraiser and ensures she will make sure donations go to the correct place and report to you on the difference they made. Danielle is one of Vince’s best friends. It’s also Danielle’s birthday on Sunday, and she says this would be a great gift. I can't see the names of donors YET, so if you do, please let me know so that I can thank you up and down!

SherryHall

« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2010, 05:02:59 PM »
Kathryn Rubino:

What an incredibly sad day... my thoughts are with Vince, his friends and family

neil berch

« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2010, 07:18:37 PM »
I only met Vince once, but even that one time, he seemed like a special young man.  What a tragedy.
--Neil Berch

prappmund

« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2010, 07:54:14 PM »
Shocked and saddened to hear about Vince. :(  Seems like just yesterday I saw him, when I came back to Vandy briefly to help judge, and he was his ever jovial self.

I debated Vince often.  While he was at UF, we attended a lot of the same regional tournaments, and given the low numbers of open teams at those tournaments, we hit each other frequently.  Whenever I saw that I was paired up against him/Brianna, I knew we were in for an intense debate.  Probably about Consult Russia.  I remember once we debated at the Shirley and he eyed my Vanderbilt ballcap I frequently wore then, which had a big 'V' on the front. He said- "Dude.  Is that "V" for Vince?  Bro, you better take that off, you're gonna send the judge subliminal messages to vote for me!"

Since graduating undergrad, I still ran into Vince from time to time when I could make a tournament.  It was always great chatting with him in between rounds, grabbing drinks at last year's NDT, or a host of many other occasions that I'll remember fondly.  He was a great debater and wonderful guy.  D6 tournaments just won't be the same without him.  RIP, buddy.

-Phil Rappmund
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 08:00:37 PM by prappmund »

SherryHall

« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2010, 09:40:17 PM »
Michael Klinger :

What an unbelievable tragedy. I never knew Vince as well as I'd have liked, but he clearly shaped the lives of many people I care deeply about for the better. For that, I'll be eternally grateful. My thoughts and prayers are with his friends and family.

SherryHall

« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2010, 09:42:13 PM »
Melissa Anne Newton :

What to say--Vince taught me to never write a person off. Its a long story that dates back 10 years...

SherryHall

« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2010, 09:43:45 PM »

Corey Turoff:

RIP Vince...you will be missed greatly by many

SherryHall

« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2010, 09:44:36 PM »
Hooky Fan :

Eternal rest, grant unto Vince Binder, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon him. May his soul, and the souls of the faithfully departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace.

SherryHall

« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2010, 09:46:06 PM »
Eric Jenkins :

I didn't know Vince, but I am deeply saddened. This has made me realize how awesome the debate community is, and how thankful I am for being a part of it. I do hope that the anger and sadness does not make the community turn from its principles in a cry for vengeance, though

SherryHall

« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2010, 09:46:33 PM »
Nicole Richter  :

tragic news. My thoughts and love go out to the friends and family of Vince today.

SherryHall

« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2010, 09:47:16 PM »
Toni Nielson :

My heart goes out to Vince's family & friends. A real tragedy

SherryHall

« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2010, 09:47:42 PM »
Blake Johnson:

horrified about Vince. thoughts and love with his friends and family. if were a praying man, i'd say a prayer today.

SherryHall

« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2010, 09:48:48 PM »
Jaipaul Rekhi :

so sorry for everyone who knew vince. this is horribly sad and upsetting. its unbelievable that some people can treat others in such an evil way. i hope we can use this moment to grieve the loss of a great person rather than as a recourse to hatred. so sorry everyone :(