College Policy Debate Forums
December 15, 2018, 06:36:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE SITE, INCLUDING LOGGING IN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IMMEDIATELY.  EMAIL ME DIRECTLY OR USE THE CONTACT US LINK AT THE TOP.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Mark Deloach  (Read 37553 times)
SherryHall

« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2010, 10:41:25 AM »

Michelle Matlock Nikisch :

Mark, Your wit and wisdom will be missed forever. Thank you for all that you did for us fledgling debaters.
SherryHall

« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2010, 10:41:50 AM »

Geoff Smith  :

Farewell Mark. So many stories that will stay with me...thank you for all of them.
SherryHall

« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2010, 12:04:07 PM »

David Breshears :

Just found out about the passing of my boss, mentor and friend, Mark DeLoach. You will be missed, brother. My heart goes out to Bella.
SherryHall

« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2010, 12:05:05 PM »

Ede Warner:

RIP to one of the most kind, most thoughtful, and most compassionate folks I've ever met.
SherryHall

« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2010, 12:06:09 PM »

Adrienne Brovero :

My heart goes out to the UNT debate family and our community. Mark will be missed.
SherryHall

« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2010, 12:08:02 PM »

Matt Gerber:

Mark: you judged me many, many times, and you shaped and influenced me deeply as a debater. Some of my favorite memories of debate are coming down to UNT for practice rounds against Julie and Jeff, with you, Garrett, and Jim Gaynor watching! You always emphasized the importance of having a good story to go along with the cards. You were an awesome coach and great person, and you will be missed.
SherryHall

« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2010, 12:32:44 PM »

Kelly Dunbar:

Rest in peace, Mark.
SherryHall

« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2010, 12:34:33 PM »

Ben Voth :

Father God. Thank you for the great life of this good man. He was a great coach, teacher, mentor to so many. Console us in our great loss. We miss him.
SherryHall

« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2010, 12:35:20 PM »

Jason Cannon  :

Mark DeLoach was a great friend, mentor, and confidant. I learned a lot from Mark both in the classroom and out of it. My heart is saddened by this loss. But my sadness pales in comparison to the loss by Bella of her father. I love you Mark and only wish I had told you of the profound impact you made on my life while y...ou were with us. I will mourn today, but i will celebrate you forever.
SherryHall

« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2010, 01:11:18 PM »

Christopher Burk:

"Shocking. Very sad. My thoughts are with his family"
SherryHall

« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2010, 01:31:45 PM »

Rodger Biles :

Joihn and Mark together were quite the team. I only have a Masters Degree because they willed it. I think they wanted me to achieve more than I did. That was so typical of both.

Adios Mark. I know you'll keep the path cleared for the rest of us, for when its our turn. You meant so much to so many. Thanks for being you.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 02:30:43 PM by SherryHall » Logged
SherryHall

« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2010, 01:32:15 PM »

Sara Brennan  :

Thanks Tara, you said it better then I ever can. I have no memories of UNT or what it could possibly be like without Gossett and DeLoach roaming around Terrill.
SherryHall

« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2010, 01:32:47 PM »

Sarah Glaser  :

My heart goes out to everyone in the UNT debate community.
SherryHall

« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2010, 01:37:06 PM »

William Mark Montgomery :

Nicest guy I ever debated against.I had a fundraiser last November for a friend that needed a liver transplant and he was the first one to contact me to help.He did this though we were many miles apart and we had not been in touch for many years.This world lost a wonderful,caring individual.
gbsdebate

« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2010, 01:37:29 PM »

DeLoach and Gossett was UNT for me.   DeLoach was the reason that I went to grad school at UNT.  I can still remember him buying numerous rounds of drinks my senior year at the Baylor tournament to guide our discussion about my possible attendance there for my Masters' program.  I remember how easy-going he was in the ever-present drama of the UNT squad room.  I remember the very long van drives, often along the I-35 corridor, with his constant joking and sarcasm.  I remember him calling on me to discuss readings in class...especially when he knew that I was not as prepared as I should have been.  I remember DeLoach then letting me off the hook after I sweated for a while in those moments preparation on my part was clearly lacking.  I remember the weekly gathering at the Tavern on the Green after grad class was over.    I remember baby-sitting Bella right after she was born to give Mark and Dana some time away.

I remember making a huge error my first semester at UNT that almost cost me my career and DeLoach and Gossett offering the 1-2 punch with the UNT administration that saved my ass.

I remember thinking at Gossett's funeral how much Gossett and DeLoach meant to me and how I needed to make sure Mark knew how much I treasured his mentorship and current friendship.  Unfortunately, I now realize I did not follow through on that.  I grieve for his loss and for those of us that are hurting right now.  I can't even process the pain that Bella is feeling.

If I have done half the job mentoring my students that Mark did, I have succeeded in my small corner of this world.

Heartbroken, Tara Tate - UNT MA Class of 2002

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: