Author Topic: Mark Deloach  (Read 41549 times)

SherryHall

Re: Mark Deloach
« Reply #60 on: July 28, 2010, 09:40:42 AM »
Will Helixon:

Hope you are partying with the G-Man! Farewell until we meet again.

SherryHall

« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2010, 10:00:44 AM »
Lauren Lynn Oznick:

"I thought it bad to lose both of my parents by the time I was 40, can't comprehend losing both at such a young age.  Prayers to his little girl and the entire debate community who's lives he touched."

SherryHall

« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2010, 01:24:56 PM »
 Thomas E. Jewell:

Mark was without guile, among very few I have had the pleasure to know, particularly considering his passion for life.

SherryHall

« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2010, 04:03:34 PM »
Kirk Crutcher :

Mark was a class act and all-around good guy. He will be missed.

lacyjp

« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2010, 06:43:11 PM »
My thoughts go out to the North Texas family.

Mark was one of the people who helped make debate a welcoming place, especially for a shy, insecure, scared kid from Virginia like myself.

I'll miss his smiling face.

-- JP Lacy

SherryHall

« Reply #65 on: July 29, 2010, 08:15:26 AM »
Eli Brennan:

My first memory of Mark was when he flew into Tulsa, taking my Mom and I to the nicest dinner we could remember. We still share a smile about it. It was not as if I needed recruiting, but he staged a scene I will always treasure- watching my Mom beam at the idea that I was actually desired by a college. He casually raised us up, just by being there doing his thing.

Over 5 long years of drama, and despite my best efforts, Mark and the G-Man made me the first college graduate in my family. Without him I would be in a very very bad place (Tulsa), racing for the Bottom.

More than anything I will remember the long, patient, utterly safe conversations we had. He held me together when there didn't seem to be enough pieces.

I and my family owe him more than i can possibly say.

We lost a very fine man. The rest of us are going to have to raise our game.

[I say all of this DESPITE the life-threatening odors he sadistically forced on us in the van.]

peace.
eli

SherryHall

« Reply #66 on: July 29, 2010, 08:16:17 AM »
Michael Hall :

"Just heard the terrible news.  Mark was my first lab leader at ADI.  He was a great teacher and and even better person.  My heart breaks for his daughter.  Prayers for all who are mourning his loss."

SherryHall

« Reply #67 on: July 29, 2010, 12:23:34 PM »
 Michele Phelps Ramsey  :

Memorial service information for Mark DeLoach in Vashon, WA: There is a memorial at the Presbyterian Church on Vashon Island at 10 AM this Saturday to honor Mark. His Dad will likely be organizing another event in TX soon, as will his in-laws in NM. But anyone in the Northwest region is welcome to go on Saturday in Vashon. You can contact Jim Gaynor (jim.gaynor@lri.com) or Valerie Manusov (manusovv@gmail.com) with any questions. Also, Jim will be setting up two places where people can contribute financial donations in Mark's name.

SherryHall

« Reply #68 on: July 29, 2010, 06:06:51 PM »
 Matt J Stannard   :

So sad to hear of the passing of Mark DeLoach, who was so supportive of me early in my career, who always showed me a good time in Denton, and who went out of his way to keep in touch with me when he retired from coaching.

Goodbye, old friend, and thank you for all the support you gave me early in my career; thank you for always showing me a good time in Denton; thanks for staying in touch with me after you left debate. I was so lucky to know you.

eli brennan

« Reply #69 on: July 29, 2010, 07:20:06 PM »
I should also leave a mark of thanks for Mark's (knowing) encouragement for my first-night-in-denton (unknowing) hookup with a transvestite {shout out: Hey Phoenix- miss ya!}

SherryHall

« Reply #70 on: July 29, 2010, 08:22:01 PM »
 Kathleen Edelmayer :

WOW! Words cannot even express how tragic this is! :( God be with his daughter! What a wonderful guy Mark was!

tneal

« Reply #71 on: July 29, 2010, 08:40:27 PM »
From Josh:

About my friend Mark,

I have known Mark Deloach since 1985.  Mark was my coach, a competitor-coach, my boss and coaching partner for many years, and my close friend of over 20 years.  Mark was one of the most genuinely nice and caring people I have had the honor to call a friend.  Over the last month I have talked to Mark many times, and the last time I talked to him was last week.   He was taken much too soon and I will miss him terribly.  I would like to share some stories about my friend Mark.

When I first moved to Denton to be Mark’s assistant director at UNT I was a frequent visitor to Mark and Dana’s house.  Mark was there for me in ways it is hard to explain.  I didn’t have a bed when I first moved there so Mark gave me one.  I didn’t have a car when I first moved there so Mark drove me around whenever I needed a lift.  I didn’t have a phone for the first year I lived there and Mark not only put up with it he acted as if it was normal.  When I had problems or complaints Mark (and Dana who was also a friend of mine) listened and helped.  I cannot remember one time when Mark was not there when I needed him or think of one way he didn’t support me or one time he didn’t help me develop as a teacher and coach.  Mark welcomed me in with open arms and always gave me input on every decision.  Mark called me or came to my office every day to invite me to a bar, or dinner with him and Dana, or to go do something fun.  We had great times at tournaments and at home. 

Many of you know I am one of the most rabid Texas Rangers fans in the world.  What most people do not know is that I grew up a Mets fan and became a part-time Rangers fan when I moved to Oklahoma as a young guy (late elementary school).  Incredibly few people know that I became a rabid Rangers fan because of Mark.  Mark and I purchased partial season ticket packages to the Rangers every spring and attended all of the games together.   Mark introduced me to the Ballpark at Arlington, to our traditions (like a game called “mound ball”), and we attended the last Texas Rangers playoff game sitting next to each other (1999).  Most of my love of the Rangers is intertwined with my hundreds of memories of the fun we had at the Ballpark.  I have never watched a game since then without at least remembering our great times at the ballpark.  One of my last discussions with Mark was when he called me to break the Cliff Lee trade news to me a few weeks ago (he wanted to know if I thought we gave up too much to get him – I said no).  For the rest of my life, I will always think of Mark whenever I watch a game.  Like in every other area of our interactions, he went out of his way to make my baseball experiences amazing.  He would almost always drive and never complained.  He was always fun and full of life at games.   

Many of you also know of my recent problems.  Mark was one of the first people to contact me.  Mark made it clear he wanted to come and testify as a character witness for me or at the very least come keep me company during this difficult time.  Mark sent a character letter for me as soon as he was asked.  Mark was a fierce and loyal friend to me in every sense of the word.  No matter what was going on he was always there for his friends.  I remember one of the happiest parts of all of us UNT folks getting together for John’s funeral was seeing Mark.  He looked as healthy and tanned and happy as I had ever seen him. 

Most important, I want to send every bit of my love and compassion to Bella and to Mark’s larger family.  I know nothing can make this better, but I do know Mark was at a very happy place in his life and that he was incredibly proud of Bella and that she and his family were the most important thing to him in the world.  I know you all know what a great and unique person Mark was and I hope that can stay in the forefront while you all work your way through all of this.  I cannot imagine what you are going through after losing Dana and Mark, but I do know they were two of the best people I have ever known.  If there is ever anything I can do please let me know.  Thank you for sharing Mark with us for all these years. 

I will miss my friend, but I will keep him alive in my memories every day, I hope he knows/knew how much we loved him,

Joshua Blake Hoe

SherryHall

« Reply #72 on: July 29, 2010, 09:03:09 PM »
Paul Gaske:

July 29, 2010

To our Friends, Colleagues, and Clients:

As many of you know, our friend and colleague Mark DeLoach died suddenly at his home on Vachon Island, WA over the weekend. He was 47. A small local and family service will be held this Saturday, July 31, at the Presbyterian Church on Vachon at 10:00 AM.

A memorial service honoring Mark will be held in Albuquerque, NM toward the end of August, and a memorial service is also planned in Texas. Details of these services will be forwarded as soon as they are available.

In lieu of flowers, memorial gifts are being established at Vachon Family Services, the University of North Texas, and the DeLoach family church in Texas. Specific details regarding how to contribute will also be forthcoming.

We recognize that many important details are not included in this announcement, but we have received so many requests for information and next steps that we wanted to inform you directionally of plans and next steps now, and then supply the needed detail when it becomes available.

Thank you all for your prayers and expressions of concern.

Sincerely,
Paul Gaske

SherryHall

« Reply #73 on: July 30, 2010, 06:03:58 AM »

Darren Elliott:

Until we meet again. You were a great man, father, coach, and friend. One of the first "NDT" people I had the pleasure of getting to know when the merger happened. You immediately knocked down all the walls that had been built and were very welcoming. For that and all of your hospitality in Denton I will always be thankful. Rest peacefully.

SherryHall

« Reply #74 on: July 30, 2010, 08:49:44 AM »
 Peter Silvester  :

You're in my thoughts. A terrible loss.