Author Topic: Mark Deloach  (Read 43621 times)

stables

• Administrator
Re: Mark Deloach
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2010, 09:42:26 PM »
Mark was one of the nicest, friendliest people I have ever met. As a debate coach he was a role model in the true sense of the term, a fantastic person who was always giving to those around him. He hasn't been a debate coach for several years, but his influence continues in so many he met.  Thank you Mark. You will certainly be missed. My condolences to his family and friends.
Gordon Stables
Assistant Dean for Student Affairs
Director of Debate & Forensics
Annenberg School for Communication & Journalism
University of Southern California

SherryHall

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2010, 09:51:15 PM »
Danny Fitzgerald  :

I wholeheartedly agree. He will be missed. This is truly sad. I echo your condolences.

SherryHall

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2010, 09:51:44 PM »
Michele Phelps Ramsey :

It's a loss beyond words for me right now, but you said it all very well, Gordon. Thanks.

SherryHall

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2010, 09:52:14 PM »
Matt Gerber :

RIP Mark DeLoach...another loss for the debate community, and the second major loss for the North Texas family in a very short timeframe. The thoughts and prayers of the Baylor debate team are with Bella and Mark's many family members and friends.

SherryHall

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2010, 09:59:28 PM »
 Dan Bockus  :

RIP, you were always a good friend thorugh the years...you will be greatly missed

SherryHall

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2010, 03:06:17 AM »
Dan Shalmon :

hurts for Prof. Mark DeLoach's grieving friends and family.

tneal

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2010, 05:56:02 AM »
I didn't grow up with a father and Gossett and Mark were the first positive male figures in my life.  There's not a day that goes by that I don't do or say something directly learned from my days at UNT. 

It was a random call from Mark that got me to debate at UNT and it was Mark who encouraged me to return to the activity after the disastrous hiatus between debating and graduate school.  I've missed him terribly these past few years and yet I feel like he's always with me. I cannot say enough nice things about him.

Hester

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2010, 08:01:32 AM »
Mark Deloach was one of the best parts of my earliest memories of college debate. i attended ADI the summer before i started at West Georgia. lucky enough to be in Vince Meldrum's lab. other than Omar Guevara, i didn't really know anyone there. my introduction to college debate was largely informed by observing the relationships of the staff at ADI. and it was Deloach's easy-going attitude, his love for debate, but more obviously, his love for his friends and colleagues and students and life itself, that stuck out to me. the feeling of immediately belonging, of being treated like one of the gang - that's how being around Deloach made me feel. in many ways , i was a punk kid who thought he knew all he needed to know about debate, and folks like Vince and Mark could have easily have put me in my place. instead, they made a place for me. i spent the first five summers of my college debate life (4 as a student, and 1 as a faculty) at ADI and i will always cherish those memories. Just seeing how that group of faculty got along made it clear to me this was a community i wanted to be a part of.

Mark Deloach was always approachable, always laughing (that dang mustache!), always friendly.

to everyone currently at ADI - if you are enjoying the person teaching you or teaching with you: hug them right now and tell them how much you appreciate them.

i'm really missing ADI right now...

SherryHall

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2010, 09:30:44 AM »
David Kingston :

RIP Mark Deloach. I don't know what to say.

SherryHall

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2010, 09:34:56 AM »
Jason Sykes

:again, the mean green mourn. we'll miss you deloach. if there's a heaven, i hope you and gossett are enjoying the sushi.

thanks for the stories, mark. you are missed, and we're all feeling a bit more vulnerable now. we lost you too soon, my friend.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 09:45:32 AM by SherryHall »

SherryHall

« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2010, 09:36:10 AM »
Joshua Zive:

Mark was an important part of my growing up in D3. My heart goes out to the entire UNT (and Lobo) family.

SherryHall

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2010, 09:37:14 AM »
David Rhaesa :

Another friend from the debate world passed away. Rest in peace DeLoach

SherryHall

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2010, 09:46:09 AM »
Tom Hollihan :

Absolutely devastating news. I do not know if I ever met a more gentle spirit. I am crushed.

SherryHall

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2010, 10:12:30 AM »
Hajir Ardebili :

Just read the news about Mark Deloach and am totally stunned. He was a big part of my growth as as debater in D3, especially in my freshman and sophomore years. My condolences to the entire UNT family and all of the rest of the community who knew and cherished Mark's kindness. Can't believe it...

"I remember his laughter.  You could be in a classroom and hear him talking and laughing among a group of friends down the hall.  You knew it was Mark, and you couldn't help but smile.  "
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 10:26:15 AM by SherryHall »

SherryHall

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2010, 10:24:09 AM »
Scott Herndon :

Feels for friends and colleagues from UNT.